Friday 11 April 2008

In the library

I used to come to the library
in my formative years... ...what is that? All my years are formative....
anyway....in the suburb near the suburb i grew up in...as a child i was at the mercy of my mother, at her whim I'd get to borrow; some books, comics, a cassette...no videos, we can't play them........ my card getting filled up with fines....
as a teenager...young adult[fiction] I'd visit the big one...with the air condioning...or toasty central heating on the cold days... sitting at the reference desks copying pictures of skeletons........or robert smith[ from rolling stone], Tom waits and his ancient eyes in his young man's face...copying out passages from neitzsche...never spelling it quite right.... I'd always return the books the their place before leaving...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

eeeeeeeee! Libraries!

Such a nice prose snippet of time spent and gone. Love it.

gunner recall said...

the funny part is
I was going to go on and on but a man had the library puter booked and i had to get off...
then i went outside, sat on a sculpture and had a cigarette...I was thinking about how the sculpture gave me a familiar feeling~ so I read the title plate... it was made by my grandpa...
life's funny...

liam said...

heh. i remember copying nietzsche passages, too, in the library.

i also remember when i quit on the library... it didn't have anything good anymore. or maybe it just wasn't the right one.

Anonymous said...

that is funny. Life really is a box of tricks. Your grandpa must have been a talented man. Tell me what you think of francesca Lia Block if you chance read her! my e mail is claireandthecherrytree@gmail.com

The only thing that interested me by way of heritage was the high possibly of being related to an infamous pirate!